When it was formed in 1963, Providence Chapter adopted its name from the original name of the City of Fairfax. In 1805, an act of the Virginia General Assembly created the town of Providence at the courthouse of Fairfax County. It continued to be called Providence and was the site of many historic events. In 1874, Providence assumed the name of “Fairfax” when Culpeper abandoned the name. The town of Fairfax was the county seat and an integral part of Fairfax County until 1961, when it was incorporated as an independent city.
Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.